The University of Malaya (UM) is the first university to be established in Malaysia. It is a multidisciplinary Research University that covers the whole spectrum of the learning discipline from social science and humanities to pure sciences, medicine, engineering and technology. The University’s beginning at the Kuala Lumpur campus dates back to 1959. In tandem with the tagline ‘The Leader in Research and Innovation’, UM has successfully produced renowned and illustrious luminaries and intellectuals including Prime Ministers, members of the cabinet, top civil servants, diplomats and leaders in the industries. Since being accorded the Research University status in 2006, UM has been in the forefront of The University of Malaya offered wide ranges of courses in postgraduate level. For more postgraduate programmes available at the University of Malaya, please visit www.ips.um.edu.my ground breaking research in Malaysia. UM, currently ranked 156th, is the only university in Malaysia to be ranked in the Top 200 of the QS World University Rankings and the only Malaysian university to be ranked in the Top 500 of the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
In its pursuit to compete globally, UM has emphasised on good quality postgraduate programmes at the Masters and PhD level, and for its researchers and graduate students to participate in the exploration of ideas, experiment with innovative methods and to take intellectual initiatives beyond the frontiers of available knowledge.
Semester 1 commences in September
Semester 2 commences in February
Registration closing date
Please refer to Institute for Postgraduate Studies for further information
• Campus-wide wifi network
• University of Malaya Library with over 1.2 million holdings
• Cafeteria/food courts with numerous food choice (local and international) are available throughout the campus
• Transportation services provided for students and staff
• 365 days per year, 24-hour campus-wide security
• IT and Multimedia Centres/Corporate Book Store/Post Office/Convenience Stores
• Commercial Banks/Indoor and Outdoor Recreational and Sports Facilities/Auditorium.
Scholarships and financial aid
• Financial support and incentives offered to Bright candidates to work and further their career in UM. For more information, please contact:
Bright Sparks Unit Level 3,
Chancellery Building University of Malaya,
50603 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
• For scholarship enquiries please contact:
Finance & Scholarship Section
Institute of Postgraduate Studies
University of Malaya
Tel: 603 7967 6996/4604
Fax: 603 7967 4606
Master’s (Coursework/Coursework Dissertation/Dissertation)
i. A Bachelor’s degree (Hons) or its equivalent in the related field.
i. A Master’s degree or its equivalent in the related field. Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree (CGPA 3.7 and above) can apply directly to the PhD programme. (For more information and specific requirements please visit ips.um.edu.my )
Where to get application forms
• The application form can be obtained online through ips.um.edu.my or
• Admissions Section, Institute of Graduate Studies (Please refer to contact details above).