The Master of Science degree in Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry is suitable for recent graduates or those in current employment within the pharmaceutical or chemical related industries....
- This course has mostly coursework based study
The actual duration of the study is 18 months, however there may due to certain circumstances that cause the duration to be prolonged, which the maximum year is 6 years. However, the fees shown are for 18 months.
The course provides graduates with the opportunity to sharpen, extend, and increase their existing knowledge and understanding in the areas of drug discovery, drug design, drug development, pharmaceutical microbiology, product commercialisation,the biotechnology market, current trends in pharmaceutical technology, advanced analytical chemistry, separation techniques, research methodology, writing skills, green chemistry, quality management, natural products and the regulatory environment.
The programme aims to:
- equip graduates with the relevant knowledge and analytical skills to cope with the ever-changing environment of pharmaceutical and analytical chemistry.
- develop key personal skills which includes time management, organisational skills, computing skills and statistical analysis capability and to nurture a commitment to lifelong learning.
- prepare graduates to be innovative and responsive to technological changes.
- provide an opportunity for students to undertake a research project and conduct cutting-edge research in the pharmaceutical field.
- provide graduates with enhanced prospects for employment within the pharmaceutical and chemical-related industries leading to a fulfilling career.
The MSc degree programme is an 18-month course of study at IMU which begins each year in March and September. The programme consists of two semesters of theory followed by a third semester in which the student is required to complete a research project. Each semester comprises 20 weeks. Classes (lectures, practical sessions, workshops, tutorials) will be held every Saturday of each week of the Semester. The minimum time of completion is 18 months, while the maximum time is 6 years.
Core courses include:
Semester 1 – Spectroscopy I & II, Separation Techniques, Research Methodology and Writing Skills
Semester 2 – Principles and Practices of Green Chemistry, Natural Products, Quality Management and Regulatory Systems, * Selectives
Semester 3 – Research Projects (Research Project can only be undertaken upon completion of All Semester 1 modules)
* Selectives include Recent Development in Pharmaceutical Sciences; Drug Discovery, Design and Development; Pharmaceutical Microbiology; and Bench to Market.
- School of Pharmacy
- IMU Main Campus, Bukit Jalil, Malaysia
Effective 2016, there will be a 15% reduction in postgraduate tuition fees for all IMU alumni who are self-funding their postgraduate study and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Semester 1 - RM 12, 000
- Semester 2 - RM 13, 000
- Semester 3 - RM 18, 000
- Semester 1 - RM 16, 000
- Semester 2 - RM 17, 300
- Semester 3 - RM 24, 200
Applicants are required to have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in Chemistry / Pharmacy / related science with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent, as accepted by the HEP Senate.
Alternatively, if the above requirement is not met:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment.
- A bachelor’s degree not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
English language requirement
International applicants are required to have either of the following:
- IELTS of a score of 5.0
- Cambridge English: Advanced of a score of 160
- Cambridge English: Proficiency of a score of 180
- Pearson Test of English of a score of 36
- TOEFL (PBT)of a score of 410 - 413
- TOEFL (iBT) of a score of 34
There is a processing fee required to be paid to the university upon applying for a course in IMU.
For the medicine and dentistry programmes, in addition to the academic qualifications, IMU requires all candidates to attend an oral interview, which is designed to provide us with further insight about the candidates, before a final decision of the selection is made.
International student matters
International students who wish to study in a Malaysian institution must apply for a Student Pass before entering Malaysia. Conversion of a Social Pass (Tourist Pass) is STRICTLY not allowed. Student Pass application takes 8 weeks for approval. This duration is just an estimation and it is dependent on EMGS and Immigration Department. Upon receiving the Letter of Offer, students must ensure that they accept the offer before the deadline by making payment for the necessary tuition fee and visa application fee as stated in the letter. Also, we advise that all documents are sent to us three (3) months before the intake date. It is important that you follow the guidelines strictly to avoid delays in your visa application. The University holds no responsibility for late submission. Please visit http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/support-services/application-requirements-proc... deeper details.
Important documents to be noted:
- Student Pass / Visa processing fee of RM2,500; fee is paid to EMGS (non-refundable) via IMU.
- Completed Pre-Arrival Medical Health Examination Report.
- 6 passport-size photographs (white background – size 3.5cm X 4.5cm).
- 2 photocopies of passport (ALL pages including blank pages. Passport copies should be clear and printed on single-sided A4 paper).
- Please ensure that your passport has a validity of at least 18 months from intake date.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as a Muslim majority country, it is advisable for international students to understand our country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/ for deeper and more information.
IMU MAIN CAMPUSBUKIT JALIL
- No.126, Jalan Jalil Perkasa 19,Bukit Jalil,57000 Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
- +603 8656 7228