Doctor of Philosophy (Business)
This program enables students to complete extensive, independent research (100,000 words). For many students, the program is their first chance to make a major contribution to research in a field of business and economics of their choosing. The Monash PhD has an international reputation forexcellence and relevance, with quality supervision at the heart of our success.
PhD students have the chance to work with a group of academics who are at the forefront of their areas of expertise and whose contribution to the business world is recognised internationally. As a doctoral candidate, you will be supported by a minimum of two supervisors throughout your candidature. Under their guidance, you will write and submit a thesis that represents a significant contribution to the body of knowledge or understanding of your field of research.
The sheer scale of Monash University's research capabilities and breadth of specialist expertise within the School of Business offer research students opportunities across the full range of applied business and policy disciplines.
You will undertake your doctoral studies through the Monash doctoral program. At the core of this program is the completion of a substantial research thesis on an agreed topic under the guidance of a supervisory team. Your research training is further enhanced by professional development activities or coursework units designed to support you in your academic and professional development.
Upon completion of your doctoral studies at Monash, you will be able to demonstrate that you have successfully designed and executed a research project that makes an original and substantial contribution to your discipline. In your research journey, you will have also acquired the necessary skills and professional attributes to make an immediate and enduring impact on academia, industry, government, or community.
Areas of study
- The PhD program may be undertaken in the principal areas of research offered by the School of Business, including accounting and finance, business law and taxation, econometrics and business statistics, economics, health economics, management, marketing, and policy studies.
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 10 and Monash Graduate Attributes.
Successful completion of the doctoral program will signify that the holder has completed a course of postgraduate training in research under proper academic supervision and has submitted a thesis that the examiners have declared to be a significant contribution to knowledge and which demonstrates the student's capacity to carry out independent research.
Students will also:
- Be responsible and effective global citizens
- Be critical and creative scholars
- Extend their knowledge, expertise and skill through the application of research to business problems and issues in their discipline
- Formulate a research problem of high impact and significance
- Communicate their research findings in a format appropriate to their discipline to a variety of audiences
- Contribute new information or new ways of understanding information in the field of research
Conditions of enrolment
You will be required to complete:
- Monash Graduate Research Induction (online)
- Research Integrity (online)
- Any faculty or program induction requirements
As a student of the university, you will be required to abide by all relevant statutes, regulations, policies and procedures. This includes maintaining satisfactory progress via regular milestone reviews in accordance with the Graduate Research Progress Management policy and procedures, ensuring you are undertaking research of an appropriate quality and scale as required by your course. You should refer to the University's current statutes and the University Policy Bank for links to relevant policies, procedures and guidelines.
This course consists of:
- A research and thesis component
- A coursework study program
You must, in consultation with and under the direct supervision of a member/s of the academic staff:
1. Carry out a program of research on an agreed topic approved by the school or department of enrolment in your chosen discipline for a specified period, including attending and/or presenting at seminars and other related activities as indicated by the relevant department/school. Research topics are available in most of the faculty's areas of research strengths, depending on supervision and resource availability.
2. Submit for assessment a thesis of not more than 80,000 words on the program of research which meets the requirements of the examiners. Submission of a thesis including published works may be permitted.
3. Satisfactorily complete of one of the following programs of coursework study:*
- Accounting PhD program
- Banking and Finance PhD program
- Business law and taxation law PhD program
- Econometrics and business statistics PhD program
- Economics PhD program
- Management PhD program
- Marketing PhD program
- Specialist streams in economics PhD program
* Each student will be assigned to the program most relevant to their research focus. Note: At Monash University Malaysia only the following programs are available: Accounting, Management, Marketing, and Specialist streams in economics.
You can apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at Monash Malaysia throughout the year, subject to availability of supervision.
To enter Monash University, students must satisfy particular academic, English language and age requirements.
To apply for the PhD program in the School of Business, you must have completed:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from Monash University, requiring at least four years of full-time study, which normally includes a research component in the fourth year, leading to an honours degree at H1 or H2A level
- A course leading to a master’s preliminary qualification at a level rated by the relevant department, school and committee as equivalent to an honours class 1 or 2A degree
- A master’s degree in a related discipline, including a significant research component, at least equivalent to an Australian honours degree (a full-time year of research and an examined thesis). It is normally expected that a minimum grade of H2A has been obtained for the research thesis or project
- A qualification considered equivalent to one of the above
English language requirements
Sound English language skills are required for all academic programs at Monash. You can demonstrate your English language proficiency through one of the following:
- Studying English at Year 12 or equivalent
- Studying at an institution where English is the language of instruction
- English Proficiency Tests
- Monash English Bridging
If you have achieved more than one of the English language requirements over a period of time, only the most recent demonstration of English proficiency will be considered.
You must meet specific English language requirements when applying for our master’s and doctoral research degrees.
Submission of evidence
You must submit full documentary evidence in support of English proficiency with your application for candidature. If your first language is not English, or where degree qualifications were not undertaken in the English language, Monash reserves the right to seek further documentary evidence of English proficiency.
- 23rd March 2019
- 29th June 2019
- 17th August 2019
- 14th December 2019
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.monash.edu/ for deeper and more information.
- Tel: +60 3 5514 6000
- Fax: +60 3 5514 6001