Master of Science (MSc) Bioinformatics
- This is a research based studies
Students who undertake this programme would receive first-hand experience in the research world, learn the core elements of academic work and work alongside their peers in a multi-disciplinary collaborative platform, all the while immersed in an environment that emphasizes healthy research culture. They would graduate with a range of multi-disciplinary skills and understand the needs of the industry, having been exposed to numerous bioinformatics skills development and training programmes throughout the course of their studies.
The specialty of the programme:
- Diverse and unique exploration areas
- Faculty with industry experience
- Access to an international network of bioinformaticians
- Opportunities to participate in relevant bioinformatics workshops, seminars and conferences
Graduates will be able to:
- Develop and apply innovative bioinformatics solutions to complex research problems
- Further their education in bioinformatics or any field of life sciences (basic, applied or services)
- Pursue better prospects in a career in life sciences, either in academia or industry
This is a full-research based programme:
- Phase I: Prerequisite Coursework (if required)
- Phase II: Proposal Defence
- Phase III: Independent Research and Thesis Preparation
- Phase IV (optional): Upgrade to PhD
- Phase V: Thesis submission and examination
Computer laboratories with high-end workstations that are equipped with cutting-edge toolkits and resources will be used for the teaching and learning activities of the students. Students will have access to online databases and international journals as well as the latest in computing software to enhance their studies. They will also be supported by a virtual learning environment through which they will remain connected with their peers and instructors throughout the course of their education.
- School of Data Sciences (PU-SDS)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) with a GPA of at least 2.75 in a related field recognized by the Senate of Perdana University.
Alternatively, if the above requirement is not met:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of less than 2.75 and more than 2.5 can be considered subject to an internal evaluation.
- Other qualifications recognized by the Senate of Perdana University as equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
English language requirements
TOEFL minimum score of 600 or IELTS minimum Band 6 or higher. Exceptions in the IELTS or TOEFL requirements may be made on a discretionary basis by the University Senate. Also, adequate proficiency in English Language as approved by the Perdana University Senate
Candidates interested in the academic programmes are advised to ensure that they meet the entry requirements of the programme before they submit their application form.
Form can be obtained from http://www.perdanauniversity.edu.my/application-process/.
Please be reminded that for this course, the application is available to to apply at January, May and September.
International student matters
All foreigners who wish to pursue their education in any level of education in Malaysia are required to apply for a Student Pass and Visa. Without Visa Approval Letter (VAL), International Students are not allowed to enter Malaysia. The application must be made through the Perdana University.
How to apply VAL?
- Apply to Perdana University and receive the offer letter.
- Prepare document as required – refer checklist
- Register with EMGS by log in to http://educationmalaysia.gov.my
- (*EMGS User Guideline, Example Guideline and VAL (EMGS) Fees Payment Information)
- Complete the required information: Complete the required information, upload the documents as required, select the insurance company, select payment method and complete application with EMGS
- Compile documents according to the checklist
- Send the completed documents to the International Office, Perdana University
- View application status via EMGS Application Status. Once application has been approved, the Immigration Department of Malaysia will issue a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the students concerned. The university will notify students once approval has been received. Students must provide complete address and contact number if they wish to receive the original VAL.
- Obtain a single entry visa at the nearest Malaysia Embassy/consulate in your home country with the VAL.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as a Muslim majority country, it is advisable for international students to understand our country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.perdanauniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
- Block B & D1, Level 1 MAEPS Building, MARDI Complex, Jalan MAEPS Perdana, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, MALAYSIA
- Tel: +60389418646
- Fax: +60389417661