Postgraduate Diploma in Bioinformatics
- This is a coursework based studies
The Perdana University School of Data Sciences, through its two Centres for Bioinformatics and Computing, provides a nurturing environment for students to prepare themselves for entering this rapidly expanding field.
The following are the key strengths of the School in the field of bioinformatics:
- Highly qualified and published faculty with international exposure and experience
- All the faculty collectively cover a broad range of current areas of research interest in life sciences
- Success to key strategic partners from academia and industry who are throught leaders in the field
- Access to computational resources, such as HPC/Grid clusters and network of supercomputers
The programme will provide a balance between theoretical understandings and practical skills, with sufficient exposure to research pipeline, from inception and critique of ideas to communication and defense of research findings. The curriculum is designed to be directly in line with the mission of the university in training professionals to help them acquire and create knowledge, think critically and achieve their fill intellectual potential in order to better serve humanity, in accordance to the highest professional and ethical standards.
Graduates will be able to:
- Develop and apply innovative bioinformatics solutions to complex research problems
- Further their education in bioinformatics or any field of life sciences (basic, applied or services)
- Pursue better prospects in a career in life sciences, either in academia or industry
What's so special?
- The first and only Postgraduate Diploma in Bioinformatics programme offered in Malaysia
- A home-grown programme, in line with the roadmap for Bioinformatics of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia (MOSTI)
- Curriculum is aligned to the needs of the bioinformatics industry and the scientific community
- A one year programme to bridge the gap between local Bachelors and Masters programmes in Bioinformatics
- Low student numbers per intake for quality education
- Students from pure biology, computer science or the life sciences background are encouraged to enroll to begin their journey into bioinformatics
- School of Data Sciences (PU-SDS)
Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Computer Science/IT or a related field with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 or other equivalent qualifications approved by the Senate of Perdana University.
English language requirements
TOEFL minimum score of 600 or IELTS minimum Band 6 or higher. Exceptions in the IELTS or TOEFL requirements may be made on a discretionary basis by the University Senate.
Candidates interested in the academic programmes are advised to ensure that they meet the entry requirements of the programme before they submit their application form.
Form can be obtained from http://www.perdanauniversity.edu.my/application-process/.
Please be reminded that for this course, the application is available to to apply at January, May and September.
International student matters
All foreigners who wish to pursue their education in any level of education in Malaysia are required to apply for a Student Pass and Visa. Without Visa Approval Letter (VAL), International Students are not allowed to enter Malaysia. The application must be made through the Perdana University.
How to apply VAL?
- Apply to Perdana University and receive the offer letter.
- Prepare document as required – refer checklist
- Register with EMGS by log in to http://educationmalaysia.gov.my
- (*EMGS User Guideline, Example Guideline and VAL (EMGS) Fees Payment Information)
- Complete the required information: Complete the required information, upload the documents as required, select the insurance company, select payment method and complete application with EMGS
- Compile documents according to the checklist
- Send the completed documents to the International Office, Perdana University
- View application status via EMGS Application Status. Once application has been approved, the Immigration Department of Malaysia will issue a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the students concerned. The university will notify students once approval has been received. Students must provide complete address and contact number if they wish to receive the original VAL.
- Obtain a single entry visa at the nearest Malaysia Embassy/consulate in your home country with the VAL.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as a Muslim majority country, it is advisable for international students to understand our country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.perdanauniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
- Block B & D1, Level 1 MAEPS Building, MARDI Complex, Jalan MAEPS Perdana, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, MALAYSIA
- Tel: +60389418646
- Fax: +60389417661