MA English with Creative Writing by The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus.
The School of English, renowned for its excellence in research and teaching, offers a masters in creative writing led by published authors and poets. The MA in English with Creative Writing brings together creative and critical practices, exploring the writing process within the contexts of publication and professional writing.
This degree is particularly relevant to students who are keen to develop creative writing skills in a professional capacity. However, it also includes selections from modules in english language and literature, which complimentany career path within the larger field of English studies. Obtaining an MA degree demonstrates a high level of knowledge in a specific field. It can enhance your employability, prepare you for further academic research, and assist in vocational training.
The full-time MA English with Creative Writing lasts 12 months and is divided into two semesters and a summer period. You will take four 15-credit modules per semester. You will then complete a Creative Project over the summer to be submitted in September.
Typical core modules:
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Creative Writing Conventions and Techniques
- English: Dissertation in Creative Writing
- Fiction: Form and Context
- Poetry: Form and Context
Typical optional modules:
- Approaches to Language and Linguistics
- Grammar and Discourse
- Literary Linguistics
- Literature and Modernity
- Popular Literature in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
- Research Methods in Language and Literature
- What is a Text?
- World Englishes
A relevant second class honours degree (or international equivalent). Mature applicants without any standard entry requirements but with substantial and relevant experience may be considered.
Applicants must have graduated from an approved university. Other equivalent qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in each element)
- TOEFL (iBT): 87 (minimum 20 in Speaking and 19 in all other elements)
- PTE (Academic): 62 (with no less than 55 in each element)
IELTS and TOEFL test results must be less than two years old and all IELTS must be the academic version of the test.