The MMus is an advanced programme in music performance with Principal Study tuition (either instrumental or vocal) at its core.
The MMus is an advanced programme in music performance with Principal Study tuition (either instrumental or vocal) at its core. This may be classical or contemporary and embrace both solo and collaborative performance. The courses also develop Masters' level skills of critical enquiry and research as appropriate to students whose principal mode of expression is through performance. This will enable students to articulate aspects of their work through the act of performance itself and through more conventional forms of academic practice.
The courses will open career opportunities for instrumental teaching and performance, and enhance musical skills, knowledge and understanding to a level appropriate for undergraduate music teaching at college and university.
Semester 1 (12 credit hours)
- Principal Study 1
- Music Research Methods
Semester 2 (10 credit hours)
- Principal Study 2
- Schenkerian Analysis
Semester 3 (7 credit hours)
- Principal Study 3
Semester 4 (11 credit hours)
- Principal Study 4
List of Elective Courses:
- Repertoire Studies (topical, repeatable)
- Performance Practices Seminar
- Performance Pedagogy
- Jazz Composition and Arranging
- Music and Law
Tuition cost for 1 year which is minimum 4 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 36, 000
- International students: RM 40, 000
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 24, 600
Entry Qualifications & Entrance Assessment
- A bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent, as accepted by the University Senate
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field
- Pass Institute of Music Audition
Candidates who do not meet the entry requirement (e.g. a bachelor's degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, or did not do well in the audition or placement tests) may be considered for admission if they have working experience of at least five years in the relevant field. If admitted, they may be placed on a one-semester probation, in which they will have to obtain a minimum GPA of 3.00 for that semester.
Submit a typed list of solo repertoire already studied and performed to the audition panel.
Prepare a program lasting 20 minutes. The programme should include:
- Three pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- It is advisable that the repertoire should be at least Diploma level
- Memorisation is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
Submission of a video recording:
- The recorded performance should demonstrate your musical ability in playing within a group. Specifically, it should demonstrate your ability to comp and solo.
- The recording must feature your performance in a piano trio (piano, bass, drums). You may use play-along tracks or a live rhythm section.
- The repertoire should include:
- One medium tempo swing from the standard jazz repertoire e.g. “All the Things You Are”, “Have You Met Miss Jones”, “Dolphin Dance”.
- One Brazilian or Afro-Cuban groove e.g. Mambo Influenciado”, “Dindi”, “Frevo”.
- One up-tempo selection of your choice (you may include original compositions).
- Please ensure the both the audio and video component is of a very high quality. The quality of your submission will influence the outcome of the audition.
- Your performance should be recorded as though it is in a ‘live’ setting.
The title of your video should conform to the following format:
- [name] [instrument] MMus Audition UCSI (date: ddmmyyyy]
- e.g. Justin Lim Piano MMus Audition UCSI 01122012
- Upload the video to Youtube. You may choose to make this an unlisted video. For more details and technical support for Youtube, please visit Youtube Help (http://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en).
- Email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please test the link before you email it.
At the live audition you should demonstrate your musical ability as a solo unaccompanied pianist and prepare: One solo piano selection-preferably a ballad or medium tempo swing from the jazz repertoire.
The Music History Placement Test will cover the Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern periods. You will be asked to response to the questions based on listening excerpts and stylistic characteristics.
Music Theory and Analysis
Roman Numeral harmonic analysis of a brief extract from a mid-to-late 19th century composition
Lead Sheet analysis of popular/jazz composition.
From dictation by the examiner, you will be asked to notate:
- an 8-bar melody-the melody will include modulation
- an 8-bar rhythm
- an SATB harmonic progression
English entry requirements
One of the following:
- TOEFL: a minimum score of 550
- Candidates are required to have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent) if their first degree was not in English
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes)
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614