This programme encompasses in-depth theoretical aspects of engineering such as civil, electrical, mechanical, and mechatronics engineering, among others.
UCSI University’s Master of Philosophy in Engineering programme is an advanced full research postgraduate qualiﬁcation. It provides a pathway to a doctorate or PhD level qualiﬁcation. Adding to the programme’s appeal is the fact that the Malaysian government is targeting 60,000 PhD holders from Malaysian universities by the next 15 years, under the National Higher Education Strategic Plan 2008.
This programme encompasses in-depth theoretical aspects of engineering such as civil, electrical, mechanical, and mechatronics engineering, among others. Candidates will be equipped with the competency needed to function independently in the ever-expanding engineering and technology industries in Malaysia. This starts from issue analysis and conceptualisation, to planning a research project and transferring this to an application in the industry or for the commercial market.
This holistic programme focuses on research (thesis and publications) as the major requirement for MPhil learners to obtain this qualiﬁcation. To give candidates an advantage in conducting quality research, the programme includes the speciﬁcally-designed Research Methodology coursework. The 3-credit hour coursework focuses on the essential tools for competitive research, presentation and publication for national and international scientiﬁc channels. In addition to lectures and assignments, students will be trained to develop and maintain co-operative networks and working relationships with supervisors, colleagues and peers within the institution and the wider research community.
- Graduates who are competent in developing and executing research that transforms synthesized knowledge in the relevant field for the benefit of the community.
- Graduates who are capable of executing independent research professionally and ethically, and having the ability to lead/supervise research projects in partnership with industry.
- Graduates who contribute to the understanding of current issues and technological advancement in engineering, through the report of research findings to peers at levels suitable for national/international publications.
Programme Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of knowledge and apply the practical skill in the relevant field.
- Contribute to original research to broaden the boundary of knowledge through thesis or dissertation.
- Perform critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new ideas.
- Plan and perform independent research undertakings under minimal supervision professionally, ethically and responsibly and to lead/supervise research projects.
- Report research findings to peers at levels suitable for international publications.
- Recognise the needs for continuing professional development.
The Master of Philosophy in Engineering is a programme that will create a pathway to studies at a higher level as well as equip you with skills to chart an upward trajectory in the following careers.Graduates will have the necessary research skills to succeed in academia as academicians, research institutions as researchers, commercial science or technology corporations as chief technical oﬃcers, among others.
General Fields Offered:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Communication and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
Tuition cost for 2 years which is minimum 6 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 20, 000
- International students: RM 25, 000
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Laboratory fee for both international and Malaysian students: RM 3, 000
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
First time payment after application: RM 21, 100
- A bachelor's degree with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in a relevant ﬁeld
English language requirements
IELTS score Band 6.0; TOEFL score of 213 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based) or a first degree from a university where the medium of instruction is English.
* As recognised by MoE Malaysia.
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes).
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
- 5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614