MSc Biotechnology with Business Management
This coursework-based M.Sc. Biotechnology with Business Management aims to equip postgraduate learners with the knowledge and expertise in both practical and theoretical aspects of the specialised areas of Biotechnology, and the relevant skills for independent research. Learners will conceptualise current economics, ethical, legal and social issues related to biotechnology and will be able to generate, develop and communicate creative solutions scientiﬁcally.
Furthermore, this programme also seeks to develop our learners’ managerial and leadership skills, enabling them to apply their scientiﬁc knowledge successfully. This will train them to become bioentrepreneurs / technopreneurs of the next generation, who possess the ability to translate research outcomes into future business opportunities. This multidisciplinary programme caters more to the industry’s needs as compared to the traditional mono-disciplinary model as it provides learners with a broader range of subject choices to meet their individual and speciﬁc career goals.
Teaching and Learning Features
This programme aims at providing students an interesting and stimulating learning experience via various teaching-learning techniques and assessment strategies. Besides theoretical knowledge, it is important for Master students to demonstrate an ability to operate and maintain scientific equipment, to have good practical skills to conduct basic guided research and laboratory work and also analyze, synthesize and integrate knowledge and information. Hence, students must carry out extensive relevant laboratory practicals in the subjects as well as undertake an intensive research project. For the research project, students are required to design and conduct research/survey in the area of Biotechnology and propose a way to bring the final product into the market. Thus, students need to write a business proposal at the end of the project, which includes budgeting, expenditure estimations, capital investments, profits and losses, and sales and market demands. This would enable students to understand their research objectives, the timeline and time management of their studies, and major project milestones. Successful completion of the research project would be the key factor in accomplishing this degree.
Assessment is an integral part of the learning process. Depending on their subjects, some students would have a formal summative assessment. But most of them would be assessed continuously throughout the subject. Continuous assessment in the form of assignments require students to be self-directed to learn through oral presentations, written reports, case studies, critical analysis on published scientific data, mini projects (individual or team), seminars and class discussions. Through various learning instructional media and technologies, students learn to identify to take advantage of the unique opportunities and challenges inherent in the assignments to broaden their knowledge and to inculcate life-long learning. Critical analysis of case studies and data interpretation exercises are amongst the most applicable techniques to help students envision real-world Biotechnology challenges to apply theories learnt throughout their studies. In addition, students would also acquire relevant communication, leadership and team-work skills to pursue their career.
This programme promotes and nurtures lifelong scholarship and deep learning for career and personal advancements, thus, enhancing employability and other inter-alia skills essential to handle the daily challenges in the ever-growing realms of Biotechnology. Overall, postgraduates can embark into their career-choices in biotechnology that is related to medicine, health, food and beverage, wine, agriculture, chemical and environmental industries or be an entrepreneur upon completion of this programme.
Tuition cost for 1.5 years which is minimum 4 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 29, 550
- International students: RM 35, 875
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Science lab fee for both students: RM 2, 400
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 25, 200
Approved undergraduate degree in the area of Biotechnology / Biology / Chemistry / Biochemistry / Microbiology / Genetics etc., with a minimum CGPA 2.5 or Classification of 2nd Lower.
English language requirements
As the programme’s medium of instruction is English, students must possess one of the following qualifications:
- TOFEL: a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or a minimum score of 79 with no less than 17 in each four components (internet-based)
- IELTS: a minimum score of 6.0
- An undergraduate degree with English as its medium of instruction
Note: Candidates who fail to fulfil the above criteria may be required to take an English Proficiency Course at the University.
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes)
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614