MSc Food Science with Business Management
Designed to equip postgraduate learners with the aptitude and mentality to excel, the coursework-based MSc Food Science with Business Management adopts an interdisciplinary approach that addresses present – and future – problems in the multi-billion-dollar food industry. Addressing pertinent aspects of the all-important sector like food production, analyses, quality and safety; the programme also exposes learners to management, finance, marketing and entrepreneurship.
This dual-pronged approach equips learners with the best of both worlds – the theoretical and technical mastery required to navigate the industry's challenges, as wellas the business sense to tell the difference between a fleeting fad and a genuine innovation. With this in mind, graduates can look forward to play key roles from the research lab to the boardroom as they seek to manage – and improve – the domestic and international food supply chain.
Teaching and Learning Features
Anchored on an outcome-based approach, the programme's delivery involves a rigorous process of conjecture and refutation that hones a learner's cognitive and communication skills. Two-way discourse is promoted over rote learning and students will develop their critical thinking skills as they engage in collegial, but intense, discussions. Industrial relevance is another key feature of the programme and learners will test their assumptions as they address various case studies that highlight industrial challenges in food technology, quality and safety, among others. The holistic approach is bolstered further by research – which provides the basic skills in business/management while combining with science and technology - give an important element in the subject – and learners are encouraged to present their scholarly work at national scientific meetings and publish a peer-reviewed manuscript at the end of their programme.
Assessment is another integral part of the learning process.Most students will be assessedthroughout the duration of their course andoral presentations, written reports, critical analysis of scientific data, as well asone's involvement in individual or team-based projects, are some of the criteria for evaluation. Apart from instilling independence and drive in learners, this mode of learning also encourages one to keep abreast of developments in the industry, inculcating a passion for lifelong learning.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 40 credits which include two (2) University core subjects, three (3) core Food Science subjects, five (5) electives – inclusive of four (4)non-Science subjects drawn from the MBA programme – and eight(8) credits worth of research.
- Food manufacturing to meet increasing consumer demand for healthy and nutritious food
- Production supervision / management, manufacturing, waste and environmental management
- Quality assurance and food safety
- Food chemistry
- Food microbiology
- Food engineering support- process and equipment optimisation
- Research and development of new food products and processing technologies
- Marketing and sales
- Civil service at government and regulatory bodies like the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Health, among others
- Academia – Teaching and research positions at universities (Basic and applied)
- Involvement with international organisations like the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO)
Tuition cost for 1.5 years which is minimum 4 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 29, 550
- International students: RM 35, 875
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Science lab fee for both students: RM 2, 400
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 25, 200
- A bachelor’s degree in the area of Food Science, Nutrition, Biotechnology, Applied Science, Agricultural Biology, Microbiology or relevant discipline with minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field
English language requirements
As the programme’s medium of instruction is English, students must possess one of the following qualifications:
- TOFEL: a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or a minimum score of 79 with no less than 17 in each four components (internet-based)
- IELTS: a minimum score of 6.0
- An undergraduate degree with English as its medium of instruction
Note: Candidates who fail to fulfil the above criteria may be required to take an English Proficiency Course at the University.
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes)
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614