Master Of Arts (Translation For Professionals)
The Master of Arts in Translation for Professionals programme is specially designed for graduates who want to equip themselves with the relevant skills and knowledge required for the diverse needs in the field of translation. This programme is suitable for graduates interested in a professional career in translation and for translators who need further specialised skills to enhance their professional expertise. Besides theoretical knowledge, extensive translation and interpretation practice based on a variety of language combinations which are paired with English, such as English-Malay, English-Arabic, English-Chinese, English-Japanese, will be provided.
The course is tailored for proficient bilinguals who want to extend their knowledge and expertise for professional translation purposes. It gives emphasis to the training of professional translators who can help meet local as well as global demands for translation specialists.
This programme also provides an excellent platform for students to be conversant with Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) tools as part of their training.
- Equip students with theoretical and practical knowledge in translation
- Provide specialised training in the field of translation to individuals who wish to pursue careers as professional translators
- Provide training in several areas of specialised translation and interpreting in different language pairs
The programme consists of 40 units of coursework. There are 8 core courses and 4 elective courses.
The courses offered:
- Approaches to Translation Practice
- Culture, Society and Psychology in Translation
- Research and Technology for Translation
- Business of Translation
- Translation Commentary
- Interpreting: Informal Discourse
- Interpreting: Formal Discourse
- Translation Practice: Hospitality Texts
- Translation Practice: Science and Technical Texts
- Translation Practice: Media and Communication Texts
- Translation Practice: Business, Law and Political Texts
- Translation Practice: Literary Texts
Medium of Instruction
Aside from academic fees, there are some additional charges that are added onto the total cost of the course.
- Registration Fees : 340.00
- Tuition Fees : 310.00 x 40 units
- Total Fees : 12,740.00
- Registration Fees : 910.00
- Personal Bond : 1900.00
- Tuition Fees : 465.00 x 40 units
- Total Fees : 21,410.00
Applicants should possess the following:
- ·Bachelor’s degree from recognised universities/colleges/institutes
- ·Minimum CGPA of 2.75
English language requirements
- Proficient in another language
- Malaysian University English Test (MUET) (Band 4 or above)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (550 and above)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (6.0 and above)
- USM’s Intensive English Programme Level IV (minimum grade: B+)
(Applicants who do not fully meet the stipulated requirements but possess relevant working experience and a good command of English may submit their applications for consideration)
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.admissions.usm.my/index.php for deeper and more information.
Institute of Postgraduate Studies
- Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
- tel: +604 653 2606
- fax: +604 653 2940
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department for MA Translation for Professionals