Msc Solid State Physics (Dual Degree)
The International Master Dual Degree Programme places a strong focus on electronics and semiconductor technology. It provides a solid theoretical background as well as a minimum of 6 months internship in one of our international partner companies (e.g. Osram, Infineon Technologies, Continental Automotive Corporation) in Malaysia or Germany. In addition, it offers you the opportunity to obtain a Master degree from Malaysia (USM Penang) in combination with an accredited European Master degree (M. Eng. in Electrical and Microsystems Engineering) from OTH (Eastern Bavarian University), Regensburg, Germany simultaneously. The course is structured to enable students to work independently, efficiently and responsibly using scientific methods and problem solving techniques. Aside from conveying technical expertise, the course is designed to build personalities and leadership knowledge and skills. Graduates will be equally proficient in performing technical tasks and leadership roles.
- February & September
Lectures in Malaysia or Germany: Min. 24 months (4 semesters) / Max. 60 months (10 semesters)
Master’s research/thesis in Malaysia or Germany (usually in a company): Min. 6 months (1 semester)
The programme consists of 40 units in USM and 54 Credit Points (CP) in OTH of the following schedule:
A) 1st Semester in USM (20 units)
Solid State Physics Theory (Core - 4 units)
Physics of Complementary Materials (Core - 4 units)
Semiconductor Physics (Core - 4 units)
X-ray Structure (Elective - 4 units)
Measurements & Experimental Techniques 1 (Core - 4 units)
B) 2nd Semester in OTH (29 credit points)
Mathematics for Master (Core – 8 CP)
Technical Optics – Micro-optics (TOM) (Core – 5 CP)
Electronic Product Engineering (Elective – 5 CP)
Master Optoelectronic Project in Labview (Elective – 5 CP)
Project Thesis (Core – 6 CP)
C) 3rd Semester in OTH (25 credit points)
Optoelectronics (Core – 8 CP)
Laser Technology and Photonics (Core – 5 CP)
Laser Materials Processing or Cybernetics (Elective – 5 CP)
German Language (Core – 7 CP)
D) 4th Semester in USM (20 units)
Solid State Physics Dissertation (Core – 20 units)
Aside from academic fees, here are some additional charges that are added onto the total cost of the course.
- Registration Fee : 340.00
- Tuition Fee : 265.00 X 40 Units = 10600.00
- Convocation Fee : 120.00
- Registration Fees : 227.50
- Personal Bond : 475.00
- Tuition Fees : 100.00 X 40 Units = 4000.00
- Convocation Fee : 30.00
Tuition fees for graduate studies in Germany are fully sponsored by the university (OTH). However, there will be an administration fee imposed by the university of approximately €150-300.
Applicants should possess the following:
- BSc in Physics, BApplied Sc in Applied Physics, BApplied Sc in Engineering Physics with minimum CGPA of 3.00/4.00 or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalent with several years of experience in a relevant field.
English language requirements
International candidates must possess one of the following:
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.admissions.usm.my/index.php for deeper and more information.
Institute of Postgraduate Studies
- Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
- tel: +604 653 2606
- fax: +604 653 2940
- email: email@example.com