MSc in Process Safety
The programme has been designed to accommodate the ever increasing demand and a shortage of process safety professionals in Malaysia and also in Asia Pacific region. The recent statistics in this region show a tremendous development of Major Hazard Installations indicating the requirement for more industrial practitioners who could manage process safety hazards. The main objective of this programme is to deepen understanding and equip the students with advanced skills and expertise in process safety, loss prevention and risk assessment. Therefore, by working closely with a well-known process safety institution, Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center (MKOPSC), we have jointly developed a distinguished and leading MSc Process Safety programme in this region.
Why choose us?
- The programme is aimed to produce graduates with advanced knowledge and specific skills on process safety to manage risk at all process lifecycle. The knowledge will focus towards prevention, mitigation and response to major accidents and losses due to fire, explosion and toxic release in a process installation.
- A major component of the programme is understanding and managing risk. Students will be exposed to real-life case studies and hands-on in applying tools and techniques to identify, assess and manage risk, taking factors such as process operations and human factors into account.
- The programme will produce highly employable Process Safety professionals who understand industry pressures and have a detailed understanding of operational safety and risk assessment.
- Each module is designed as a modular course to fulfil any Professional Development programme which gives graduates a tremendous opportunity to further their career for a specific competency.
- The instructor of the modules will be a blend of experienced UTP and MKOPSC faculty members and Process Safety practitioners from industries to enhance the understanding of both theoretical and applied.
- The programme can be studied part time to suit the needs of industry professionals already working in the field.
Compulsory Core Modules:
- Principles of Process Safety Management
- Principles of Hazard Analysis & Risk Management
- System Safety Engineering
- Safe Design and Operation
- Human Factors
Technical Elective Modules:
- Fire & Explosion Engineering
- Industrial Hygiene Engineering
- Quantitative Risk Assessment
- Process Plant Integrity & Reliability
- Incident Prevention & Emergency Management
- Environmental Risk & Impact Assessment
- Corrosion Engineering
Management Elective Modules (Choose One):
- Project Management (Core)
- Engineering Economy (Elective)
- Strategic Management (Elective)
- Industrial/Research Based Project
Students graduated from this programme will be highly skilled and knowledgeable in the area of Process Safety where it will always remain one of the most important areas of focus for many industries such as oil and gas industry, petrochemical industry, chemical/pharmaceutical industry, consultant, regulatory/authority bodies and R&D scientific bodies. Example careers relating to this programme may include; Safety Engineer, Process Safety Engineer, Risk and Safety Manager, Process/Technical Safety Engineer, HSE Lead Engineer, Risk Analyst, Safety Consultant, etc.