PG Certificate Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
This programme is suitable if you are currently or looking to teach English to speakers of other languages, keen to build on your existing knowledge and experience, seeking to improve your career prospects or interested in researching your own teaching practices/context. It will prepare you to conduct independent research into teaching and learning and provides a pathway to doctoral study. You will meet expert tutors in the field of English language teaching, a major branch of applied linguistics, who have many years’ experience teaching at this level and who are committed to providing the best quality study experience.
Faculties, Schools & Departments
School of Education
for the PGCert, you will need to complete two core modules to the value of 60 credits. There is no dissertation requirement for the PGDip and PGCert.
Modules are taught within a block of four days over two consecutive weekends. Each module will usually be assessed by a written assignment of 6,000 words or equivalent.
Typical core modules
- Language teaching: Methodology and Curriculum
- Understanding Language Learning and the Language Learner
Typical optional modules (Choose two)
- Assessment in Language Education
- Managing Language Teaching and Language Teachers
- Material and Technology in Language Education
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes: Context, Language and Pedagogy
- Teaching Language to Young Learners
This substantive piece of scholarship within the field of the programme will normally be based on interests and skills you have developed in the programme of the modules already studied. You will choose a topic in consultation with your programme leader and an appropriate supervisor.
A relevant second class honours degree (or international equivalent). Relevant experience may be required for some of the programmes. Non-UK qualifications will be assessed against this standard.
Mature applicants without any standard entry requirements but with substantial and relevant experience may be considered for an entry at the Postgraduate Certificate level and the acceptance is at the discretion of the School of Education.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in each element)
- TOEFL (iBT): 87 (minimum 20 in Speaking and 19 in all other elements)
- PTE (Academic): 62 (with no less than 55 in each element)
- MUET: Band 4
June and December